Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Superpower...well at least I think it is.

The only superpower I would want to wake up and discover is having dry hands. Most people don't even think about sweaty, clammy hands, but I have to deal with it everyday. This disease is known as hyperhidrosis, and the cause is yet to be determined; it is really not that researched other than an institute dedicated to the disease down in Florida. One of the reasons most people don't know about it is because only two million people out of the six billion on the planet suffer from the disease, so most people have never met someone who has it or knows what it is. Consider yourself lucky to know one person. Well if you know my brother, you know two people. Someone who doesn't know my brother and me might ask how such a rare disease occurs twice in one family? The answer: we're fraternal twins. I also recently found that my cousin suffers from a very faint form of the disease, but never had it treated because it never occurred at such an extreme degree as my case.
Even though only two million people suffer from the disease, there have been breakthroughs in the research to find a cure. Although the cause is still not definite, I am convinced that it is genetically, sex-linked characteristic trait. My evidence comes from the fact that everyone that I know who has it is on my dad's side of the family and is male. Although the disease is found in females, more often than not it occurs in males leading to believe that disease is sex-linked. Furthermore, the source of the excessive sweating has been found. Most nerves run down your back in the vertebral column, but a few (about 5 minor ones) run down your body from the arm down through the armpit symmetrically on both sides. One of these ganglia are responsible for causing the synapses of the nerves and the production of sweat. One of the treatments is a minimally invasive surgery which require the placement of micro-clamps on these nerve resulting in a sort of short circuit of the synapse. This does not prevent sweating, but does reduce it almost to nothing. I haven't tired it yet, but I do take some random medicine to help the control it, but I would love to not take the medicine. I do not like to take medication; I usually never fill prescriptions and don't take what is prescribed unless it is over-the-counter.
Anyways, after running off on the longest tangent possible, I still believe it would be awesome to be, well normal. Even though I have it better than most people in the world, hands that don't sweat are such a small gift compared to how much more I could do with them.

No comments: