Sunday, October 14, 2007

Have you played an instrument?

I have played the alto saxophone for over seven years now, and I have never not had fun playing my instrument. I suggest you should learn how to play an instrument no matter what it might be. Whether it be a guitar, piano, banjo, or maracas, as long as you learn the basics of the instrument. The hobby provides entertainment, improves your focus, and allows you to do something over eighty percent of the world cannot do. It is a known fact that studies have shown over eighty percent of those us cannot play a musical instrument. Studies have also shown that students that pick up or practice playing a musical instrument do better in their studies. One of the biggest reasons people don't like playing an instrument is that they do not like to learn the basic, like scales and tonal quality, etc. If learning to play an instrument did not require work, everyone would probably play an instrument. The problem with learning something new is that you have put a whole-hearted effort forward, otherwise you are doing something in an horrendous attempt and giving everyone else a bad impression; nonetheless, learning something new is always fun, and learning to play something tons of fun. Someday you might join or start a band...

1 comment:

JShoe said...

Definitely a good idea, Ravi.

I've been playing the guitar for about 5 years now, and like you, I never get tired of playing. It's funny how the instrument can become like another emotion, another way to express yourself. And the best part is, even if you don't have an audience, it can still be a fruitful experience. In fact, some of my favorite moments playing have come in my room by myself. It seems like a cool way for someone to be more connected with themselves.